Wednesday, January 1, 2014

REVIEW: Deuter Kid Comfort III Kid Carrier Backpack

So, wanna carry your kid around, but don't want to have them in those kangaroo pouch looking things? Want to have them on your back, but also want to bring baby gear?  Are you into real hiking, and know what a hydration pack is?  Then this is the pack for you.

If you know a little bit about this pack and you're on the fence about it, then I'd say save yourself some time and stop reading now, and click buy.  You won't regret it.  Unless you're near broke, and need food instead of a backpack, then you might have some regrets.



As of this writing, I've had it for almost 3 years, and I do not regret it at all.

I've got the older version, and the current model is nothing but an improvement. I'd trade mine for it in an instant, if it was an option available to me. (Anyone from Deuter reading this...message me)

I wanted to get an outdoors style backpack for carrying my kid around. My wife uses the Ergo, and I do from time to time as well, but when it's Daddy and baby time, I'm gonna use a backpack.

Finding the right one was not easy.  If you go to traditional kids stores, you aren't going to find much. What you do find is...worthless.  A metal frame with a canvas seat, and absolutely no pockets? Well, it has a little hip buckle, it <i>does</i> go on your back, and the kid can sit in it, I guess you could call that a backpack. I'm looking straight at you, Chicco.

Or: It's a backpack! Like, a daypack! Plus, it unzips, so your kid can sit inside! What? You had things in the backpack? And you wanted to carry the kid and those things at the same time?  What are you, CRAZY?!

These were my options at major kids retailers.

So, I went to sporting goods stores. There I found a few options.  Not a plethora of pickings, but a few to choose from. Since they are first and foremost an outdoors store, the choices were built around being practical for actual use.

These were my requirements:







  • Hydration Sleeve or GTFO. (You can't be a hiking pack and NOT have a hydration sleeve)
  • Hiking style backpack with a large hip belt to support the weight (No Hip Belt, Not a Hiking Pack)
  • Ability to carry gear like Diapers, wipes, etc
  • Ability to carry food for me and the kid. (Poop and Food must be in separate areas)
  • Spot for carrying Bottles
  • Loops for attaching things as needed
  • Pockets, Pockets, and more pockets for the pockets.


  • I found two options, The Kelty Pack and the Deuter Kid Comfort pack.

    I felt that the Kelty system was just too top heavy for me, the place for putting your gear rides high on the pack, at the same level where your kid is sitting.

    The Deuter places the large storage pocket below where your kid sits, keeping the center of gravity closer to your body.

    My final decision was to go with the Deuter Kid Comfort 3

    The Deuter Kid Comfort comes in 3 options.

    The similarities between all 3 packs:

    • Kickstand for supporting the pack when it's not on your back.
    • Large Hip Belt
    • Side pockets for bottles and snacks.
    • Changing Pad in the large Pocket
    • A Teddy bear! (This made my wife happy, and is a nice touch)

    Version 1 does not have a Hydration Sleeve. That was a dealbreaker for me. It is also lacking in sufficient pockets to keep food and diapers in separate areas. Sunshade is an Optional accessory.

    Version 2 is almost the same as version one. It does have a hydration sleeve, and more pockets, allowing you to separate food and diapers. Sunshade is an Optional accessory.

    Version 3 is Mondo.  It has numerous pockets, a hydration sleeve, and the sunshade is not just included, it is an integrated part of the pack, no pieces to lose. This allows for an additional handle on the back of the pack for clipping and connecting things that can dangle off the back, like toys, towels, etc.

    Did I mention that it comes with a bear?

    All in all, dad is very happy with this pack.  But, this doesn't mean squat if the kid doesn't like it.

    What's my kid say about this?  ZZZzzzzz.....  She falls asleep in it. She is extremely comfortable and loves being up high and seeing everything.  This makes trips to the zoo much more enjoyable for everyone because she gets to see the animals, and I don't have to pick her up to see everything.

    Now that she is older and has a little sister, it's a battle for who gets to sit in "pack-pack". She thinks of it as hers, even though she is now 3, and can walk (most of the time, anyway) without it!

    I've come up with a compromise though: The littlest one goes in the backpack, and the older one goes on my shoulders.  Mommy is happy with this, because she doesn't have to push any strollers or carry anything, as everything is quite literally on my back.

    She also thinks I look weird.  Hey, It's her fault for marrying me.

    Oh, and the little one?  Her napping in it is also to me an indication of her approval.

    So there you go, Deuter Kid Comfort 3: A Gaijin Daddy Top Pick, Kiddy approved.

    No comments :

    Post a Comment

    Your Comments inspire me to keep doing this! Please share this article or Blog if you enjoyed reading it. Remember, using the Links helps support my family. -Sparky