Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Put Down the Phone, and Play with your Kid

I take my kids to community playgroups that occur every week.  Sometimes, we go out to a nearby park for them to run around and go crazy.

Without fail, I see a parent that's sitting on a bench, looking at their smartphone, and sometimes even a tablet, instead of watching their kid.

Sure, our parents had books, newspapers, and magazines to read while we were digging in the sand, but I don't think it was like what I've seen now.

Sure, an unattentive parent has let their kid wander off to the swings, which just so happen to be all occupied by kids that are swinging.  And those kids that are swinging are being pushed by another parent, that's busy looking at some exciting status update, and doesn't see that their kid is about to swing into the other kid.

WHACK.

Yeah, I've seen it happen.  A few times.  In exactly the situation I've described, where both parents were engrossed in their small screens.

I'm sure the kid's got over it.

The worst case is when the kid is doing something super exciting, like making a sandcastle, or an incredible block tower.  The kid is so proud of their work, and just want to show their parent.  I've heard this too many times:

"Mommy! (or Daddy!) Come Look!"
"In a second...."
[time passes]
"Mommy! (or Daddy!) Come Look!  Look at my Tower!
"oh, uh-huh! That's Great!" they say, as they still sit across the park, poking at their phone
"You're not looking!  Put down your phone, and come play with me!"
"In a minute!"
"WWAAAAAHHHH!!!!!""""

Yeah, it's really distressing, and I've wanted to whack the device out of their hands myself!

Your kid wants to play with you.  Do you understand how awesome that is?  My wife is constantly reminding my how in 10 years or so, our kids will want nothing to do with us.  Right now, at this very moment, your kid wants absolutely nothing more than your undivided attention to show you that they can jump off the the jungle gym, balance on one foot, stack some blocks, or even throw something in the air!

"Whoop de friggin do to you, I can do that too." You might be thinking.

Yeah, but have you only existed for two years, and nearly everything is new and exciting?!

I'm sure that those birds will still be angry when you get back, and those status updates will still be accessible.  Because really, how many of you are actually accessing critical, work related content on your phone?

Sure, I've been guilty of tapping out a message when my kid's wanted me to see her awesome new pile of sticks, but I don't think I'll be the type of parent that I've seen that absolutely has no idea where their kid is or what they are doing, but has got a new high score on their game.

The worst of the worst are when the kid's are the bullies of the playground.  (Could it be that they're acting out for their parents attention?)  Meanwhile, their parent is nose deep in the device, leaving the other parents to console their own kids, while the little monster is off to do whatever they want till the battery is drained.  It's time to leave the park because it's time to charge.

I do my best to limit my screen time around the kids to taking pictures of them so send to Mommy, and checking on things when they are completely engrossed in something.  But, as soon as they want to play with me (or rather, jump, climb, and be all over me), the device goes away.  Whatever it is can wait.

My kid wants to play right now.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your Comments inspire me to keep doing this! Please share this article or Blog if you enjoyed reading it. Remember, using the Links helps support my family. -Sparky